Our second garden is progressing nicely. We have already had a hearty harvest of spinach as well as some tasty snap peas that were a real delight. Unfortunately, our radishes (which I planted in the hope that if everything else failed, these hearty veggies would compensate by overperforming as I have heard they tend to do) were all foam - they grew big, bushy tops (about 12"-18") and when I plucked them, their roots were like red toothpicks. How disappointing. On the other hand, the success of the other vegetables more than made up for it.
Now, as we transition into the hot summer months, we are between harvests with our cool-weather vegetables biting the dust and our warm-weather vegetables picking up steam. We still have a way to go before we have any decent sized carrots to pick (although the two I've picked already were larger than the largest carrot of last year's crop) and our beans, corn, beets, and cabbages all need another month or so. Our broccoli looks like it may not make it in time, which is sad, given that we are big broccoli eaters in our family.
That's it as far as gardening updates go. If any of you like carrots, we're going to have our weight's-worth come harvest time if things go well so we'd be happy to share. Happy summer everyone!
1 comment:
Scott and Mitzi!!!
I must say I am very impressed with you garden savvy! Who knew??? It looks like you'll be pros before I ever even get around to starting a garden. Catherine and I got a tomato plant for Mother's day but I think we killed it. ARghhhh!!
Love you guys!
Ricardo
Post a Comment