Sunday, April 8, 2012

TV, Twin Falls, and Easter

Remember when I made the goal to do a preschool activity everyday, well that isn't happening but it is happening on some days so that is good. Having my kids do constructive things is probably one of my greatest struggles as a parent. I have a hard time not letting them watch TV/play video games for hours a day. It's terrible. When I do turn off the TV my kids are so much more amped up and destructive that it stresses me and Scott out. Anyway it's a struggle. The other day I turned off the TV and Corbin and Gabby went in their room and Corbin knocked the closet door out onto the floor. Luckily it didn't land on Gabby, (it is big and heavy). This was very upsetting to the whole family and we had screaming children for 30 minutes. I was upset so I just shut the door on Corbin and put him in a time out. Gabby was hysterically crying because it scared her and she was upset seeing Corbin upset. Anyway it was drama mama, that's what I get for turning off the TV. Ha. I applaud parents that limit their children's television watching to a few minutes or don't have them watch it at all. I marvel at you. I look up to you, and I will try to do better.

Last year my parents and my siblings and families went to Twin Falls and we all went to the temple so my brother could take out his endowments. We decided that was a good time and that we would do it again. This year I figured since Scott and I had just been to the temple a few weeks ago that we would babysit so everyone else could go. Our kids are the youngest and I'm still nursing so it just made sense for us to stay back. For 3 hours we watched the nieces and nephews. I was a little worried about it because I wanted it to be a good experience for all of the kids and not a miserable experience for Scott and I. It went pretty well. Scott took the 6 and under crowd outside to play freeze tag for a long time. I played my old vintage Barbie Queen of the Prom game with the older nieces. After that it was popcorn and cartoon network. The kids were all really good and it worked out well. Everyone got back at 9:00 and we did some late night swimming. Gabby was crazy. She loves swimming now. She tried to jump right in and I barely caught her in time.

The next day we ate breakfast and did some more swimming. We then went to Shoshone Falls again. After that we all ate at Burger King and headed the different directions home. I was excited to see my sister Trisha because we never see each other but we didn't even get a chance to talk or hang out. It's hard when you are busy taking care of your kids. We need to plan a special sister's weekend for sure. Corbin and Gabby did great on the trip and it was a lot of fun. Piper was a little difficult which just help confirm that leaving her behind while we go on our cruise is a very good idea.

I was too tired when we got back to do any Easter festivities so we did it today. Normally I like to do the secular Easter things on Saturday and have Sunday be left for more of the spiritual. This year we had them find their baskets in the morning and after dinner we did a small Easter egg hunt in the backyard. We didn't dye Easter eggs this year, oh well there's always next year.

G is for Gabby.
C is for Corbin
Hanging out at the hotel waiting for the temple peeps. (That is my sister's leg not mine, I don't go around sporting that much leg these days). Ha!

Shoshone Falls

Corbin and Gabby sleeping on the way home, Piper not so much. Although I do think she gave it up at some point. She was actually very good on the way home, she didn't make a peep. She was just hanging out most of the time.
I bought a walker for Piper at a yard sale, so far she's not very into it.
Gabby taking over on the walker.
Easter picture. No I didn't make their dresses, but I did make their headbands.
Daddy's girls
Good lookin' boys
I've started putting Piper in Gabby's booster chair, she's so little.

5 comments:

Kelsey Rose said...

Ha that's my leg baby check out those frisbee wounds!

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

i LOVE your matching outfits! so, so cute!!!

Melissa said...

Cute Easter outfits and fun Easter egg video. I love that Gabby is trying to open all her eggs and keeps complaining that it's cold. I applaud you for trying to keep off the TV, even if it doesn't happen all the time. We limit Bryson to one movie a day (sometimes it's twenty minutes, and sometimes it's an hour and a half, it all depends), but it's not always easy. Good luck on that one! Nice of you guys to babysit for everyone (Jarom and I aren't too in to that these days). Glad you had a good Easter too!

Melissa said...

Sorry if that last comment seemed rude. I was just trying to say that in a perfect world, the TV wouldn't be on at our house much either, but it doesn't happen that way. I'm really NOT judging you. Haha.

The Cannons said...

Melissa,
That's funny. Don't worry I already knew you hardly let Bryson watch any TV and I already aspire to be more like you.