Sunday, October 26, 2008

Crazy Saturday

Yesterday was my half marathon. I'm very excited that it is over. The race was alright. I thought that I could maybe run a ridiculously fast pace for some stupid reason. I did pretty well for the first 5 miles and then I just survived the last 8. Luckily I found a running partner from mile 6 to 10 and she helped me stay motivated to keep up a decent pace. At mile 10 she sped up and I crashed and burned. I really probably could have crawled faster. Let's just say I ran the first 3 miles in 26 minutes and the last 3 took 45 minutes. It was a struggle to say the least. I am a little frustrated that I didn't just stay on my running pace because I would have felt better and ended up running it faster in the end. Oh well. Next time right? Well, who knows if there will be a next time but I'm excited to say I survived and all is well except for some soreness.

If you want to challenge yourself without killing yourself run a half marathon. If you want to challenge yourself and almost kill yourself run a full. I really think anyone could do a half marathon. After 6 miles it's all a mental game anyway. By the way if anyone cares I ran it in 2 hours and 13 minutes. My last half I ran it in 2 hours and 5 minutes. Dang. I really wanted to beat that time. Oh well. Oh also mile 12 had the most ridiculously killer hill. I hate that!

Last night we had our ward party and it was so much fun. We really love our ward. Everyone is really involved and they know how to throw a great party. Corbin had tons of fun pushing and walking his stroller around. We seriously need to get him a tonka truck to push around. He takes anything and pushes it all around the house. So funny.

After that we did a double header spooky movie night. We watched Stir of Echoes and The Orphanage. We watched them on a clear play so it edits the movies. Awesome. I recommend both but especially The Orphanage. So good. It's in Spanish so you have to read it but it's totally worth it.
This is us in front of the prison before the race. The race was at the prison and it was called the prison break half. Get it.
Here is Corbin all bundled up to watch mommy run.
I can never talk anyone into doing a race with me but I did get my visiting teacher who I also visit teach (go figure) to run with me. She and her sister did the 10K.

Here is Mariella, she totally saved my bacon. We ran together for at least 4 miles. She is training for a marathon in January and did the half as a practice run. She kicked my trash.
Here's our lil' devil before the ward party.

Corbin will be 10 months old tomorrow. Crazy!
And he has most definitely taken his first steps more than once today. We'll see how long it takes to turn into actual walking.
So here are the angel parents with their little devil child. So our angel wings look like fairy's wings and people confused the lil' devil with a bat. Oh well.



Here are the festivities at the beginning of the race.


Here is Corbin playing with his stroller.

11 comments:

Catherine said...

Congrats on the awesome race! I am impressed and hope I can be that cool someday. :)

Kristine Elaine said...

Nice job on the race. I am pretty sure I am not half marathon or marathon material.

Piper said...

Congratulations Mitzi! I'm so glad that you went through with it! What an accomplishment!

Scot and Jenny said...

Good job Mitz. You totally motivate me! I wish we lived closer so I could do stuff like that with you. DANGIT! You look freaking awesome by the way!

Amber said...

Wow! Good job on the half marathon! I am impressed. I've always wanted to do that but I'm a pansy. :( Anyway, I love your costumes they are very cute!!!

Shelley Beal said...

Way to go Mitzi!!! What fun fun pictures!

Jarom and Melissa said...

Great job Mitzi. I'm almost (ALMOST is the key word here) inspired to do a half marathon, but I'd have to wait until Bryson has been weaned. You rock. Sounds like you had a pretty rocking Saturday, complete with some scary movies. Awesome! I'm impressed!
-- Melissa

Sarady said...

Way to go, Mitzi. What a great accomplishment. The Prison Break theme is pretty clever, but a little scary too that it starts at the prison.

By the way, I see that Corbin is a pro at pushing the stroller around, but who won the bet of when Corbin will walk?

I missed that Dr. Phil about phobias because I'm retarded. I hope I can catch it on his website or even some kind of summary. We've had some close encounters with spiders lately. Yuck.

Jed and Kate said...

LOVE the costumes and WAY TO GO on your 1/2 marathon! You are awesome! I really want to follow in your footsteps! I wish you lived out here so we could run one together! Miss you!!!
-Kate

The Cannons said...

Sarah,
We both lost the bet. I said he'd be walking by September 10th and Scott said October 10th. We never made another bet. Plus he's not walking yet just a few steps before he falls.
Mitzi

Karen said...

Way to go Mitzi!! You're my new hero. I think I would die after mile 1, so no, I don't think anyone can do a half marathon.

And cute costumes. Love the angel/devil theme. Funny!