Corn: What a joke. After some time-lapse photography I came to realize that our corn was getting about 5 hours of sunlight per day, if it was lucky. It was probably more like 4 or 4 1/2. I'm thinking that explains the pencil-thin stalks, the pale green leaves, and some of the most pathetic ears that could ever be called such. Consequently, the results of my plant-spacing experiment (which I actually drew out a diagram for) were horribly confounded and I don't know if I crammed too many plants into too small a space or if my mother-in-law just has the magic touch. Maybe corn just isn't going to work for us here. I don't know if there is any spot in our garden that would provide it with adequate sunlight.Carrots: Our carrots have actually done quite well. They taste a little bit "off" to me, which is sad. The best way I can describe it is that they taste a bit dehydrated or "woody," though there is considerable variability between plants. I have a second batch that I planted sometime in June and they are really moving! I think this batch will be a significant improvement over the early-Spring batch, which was itself a vast improvement over any previous batch of carrots we've planted.
Peas: Our peas were fantastic, especially the pole peas. They tasted great and just kept on giving until we went out of town and I had messed up on the sprinkler timer; they were nice and crispy after 5 days of triple-digit temps without any water. I planted a fall crop at the beginning of August just like the experts told me to, and only 3 out of 30+ seeds sprouted. What a rip! It looks like we'll have a limited fall crop but I'm sure they'll be delicious!
Beets: Has anyone else ever tried to grow beets? What's the deal with the plant getting burned in the middle? Almost half of my dang beet plants sprouted and started off fine, and then they would shrivel-up half way between the root and the leaves and die. !?! My entire first batch of beets was a spectacular failure; it turns out they need more than 4 hours of sunlight too. So I planted a second batch in June and after a month they were already 10x the plants my first batch had ever been...excepting of course the "middle burners." It looks like we may have one, or maybe two or three, full-grown edible beets this fall. Hooray!
Spinach/Lettuce: Round 1 = Disaster. Yellow, whimpy plants that I think I overwatered. Round 2 = Sprouts on top of sprouts that never became anything more. Round 3 = The worst of the lot. Growing this stuff is still a mystery to me.
Beans: We've had enough to provide us with a side dish for dinner on two occasions, but otherwise the production has been unimpressive. However, it seems now that some of the plants are getting a second wind and are growing heartily and dwarfing their comrades. We'll see if they produce the beans to match.
Broccoli: I don't even want to go there. I'll just say that buying starts appears to be the way to go. The seeds I planted in June sprouted, grew about 2" and now it looks like they've done all they're going to do and are just waiting to be added to the compost heap.
8 comments:
That's awsesome Mitzi! You are such a domestic goddess :)
LOL!!! It is Scott's garden folks! Lets be real clear on this one! HEE HEE! Love ya Mitz! I love your blog posts. I also love that you came outside every hour and took a picture of your sunlight situation. Come to my garden and I will give you food and if you want you can pretend you grew it.
It does crack me up when people get confused as to who is posting. Usually you can tell just be shear length and detail. Jen, I am a domestic goddess and don't you forget it.
Mitzi
I love that your carrots and peas did so well. You are gardening champs. But I also like the pictures of the sorry beets and corn. Good for you for doing a garden. We'll be sure to get some tips from you, Scott, when we do one.
-- Melissa
First, CONGRATULATIONS on Baby Cannon #2! Second, Thanks for posting the carnival/wedding pics, Hyrum and I would have loved to see it in person!
We've learned our fair share doing a garden this year too--like don't put waaaaay too many plants in just because they're small when they start out. We've had to pull out half of what we put in!
The first sentence of the post made me laugh out loud. I have no experience with gardening (except for weeding our huge stinkin' garden when I was a kid), but I have to give you guys major kudos for so diligently planting your crops.
Mitzi I didn't know you where pregnant! That is crazy that we are always pregnant around the same time. We both had boys maybe we will both have girls now! What are you hoping for?
Post a Comment