Sunday, September 23, 2007

Early Anniversary

Mitzi and I finally got to enjoy our early anniversary celebration that we had planned back in the Spring. We had seen that Costco was having a sale on reservations at the Anniversary Inn, and I knew that they had one in Boise, where we would be living come anniversary time. Because we'd had such a good time last year, we decided to buy a reservation several months early while the price was right. On Friday, we finally got to go.

Our anniversary (2 years) is not until the 8th of October, but because I start work on Monday we decided to make this early celebration something of a last hurrah before my schedule filled up. Mitzi and I have enjoyed about three weeks together in which neither of us were working and we just got to play around together and go house shopping. As you know, we've found a house, and just in the nick of time as well.

Back to our festivities. Those of you familiar with our anniversary dinner debacle last year will remember that we spent about 4x the amount we ever spend eating out on what was probably the worst meal we've ever had together. Tragic! This year, however, we put our money on a sure bet--Texas Roadhouse. Mitzi loves their rolls (which is more than she can say for many restaurants) so we went there early to beat the dinner rush, but found that there was still a 45 minute wait at 5:30pm. Good grief. Fortunately, there were a few shops of interest nearby so we spent our wait time wandering about buying candy and things. We went back and only had to wait briefly before being seated. Then the rolls came and we were already off to a better start than last year. We went through three baskets of rolls and were loving life. While we were munching and waiting for our food, the manager came up to us and said that he hadn't seen us in before and asked if we were new to Texas Roadhouse. He was very nice and welcoming, although he refused to discuss their roll recipe.

Our food was great and we even had some nice leftovers. We finished up and then headed downtown to find our Inn. We checked in and went down to our room. Mitzi closed her eyes so as not to spoil the surprise, and I showed her inside. Unfortunately, the room was not nearly as impressive as our room last year. But once we thought about it, our room last year was pretty hard to top. This year it felt like a regular hotel room in floorplan and design, and yet the aesthetics were of the central Asian persuasion. That was a bit sad, but we enjoyed ourselves nonetheless.

I made Mitzi take this picture right when we got up, so unfortunately we don't have any pictures when we don't have bed hair or sleepy face.

When we checked out the next day, they had many of the doors to the other rooms open, so we treated ourselves to several peeks into different rooms and decided that we had just drawn the short straw this time around. Many of the other rooms were quite impressive, so we're likely to have better luck next time (whenever that may be). However, seeing as the room cost us 1/4 of the regular price, there really isn't too much to complain about.

Elephants. Who knows how to tell if they're African or Indian?

After we returned home, I felt like I needed a serious nap to recover from our weekend of relaxation--I think I was probably just feeling overwhelmed at the idea that I would be starting what could possibly be the first day of the next 20-30 years of my life on Monday. So we flipped through the channels and found that "Waterworld" was the best thing on, which I had no problem sleeping through. Later we had dinner and went to visit a newfound friend in the neighborhood: Walker and Liz Ford, and their new baby boy Jameson. I was told by Richard that Walker had moved to Boise a while ago and I had no idea. We drove out to their house and played with their smiley, giggly, handsome 8-month old boy and had a lovely chat. It looks like our list of Boise connections just keeps on growing.

Just for fun, here are a couple of pictures of our room from last year in Logan: Arabian Nights.

2 comments:

Jed and Kate said...

Sounds like a fun anniversary celebration!! We're supposed to be going to see Phantom of the Opera, but we still haven't figured out the best way to get tickets. Too bad there's not an Anniversary Inn in Manhattan!!

Piper said...

Happy Early Anniversary! Good Luck tomorrow Scott~!