Saturday, October 25, 2008

Weak Teeth!


Now that we finally have dental insurance again, Mitzi and I went in for our check-ups. The dentist followed-up with me to see if I'd been using my prescription toothpaste they told me to get back in February. Oops. I guess that, what with getting fired and all, it slipped my mind. Well I picked it up and have a new dental hygiene routine:

1 - Floss
2 - Brush with fancy super mineral toothpaste
3 - Hold paste foam in my mouth for 30 minutes

My dentist suspects that due to the fact that I seem to have at least one cavity (often several) every time I go in for a check-up that I may have weak teeth. Actually, there are a number of things that he said could be causing me to show a propensity toward developing cavities. Some theories are: a) Unusually-acidic saliva, b) unique and problematic oral bacteria, c) too much sugar in the diet. He said that he, too, is a "high-risk" person when it comes to cavities and that he can brush and floss and do everything and he still gets cavities. He also said that he has some people who come in and never brush, floss, or do anything to take care of their teeth and they never get cavities. What a jip. Anyway, this toothpaste is supposed to replenish the minerals that are being sucked out of my teeth day-by-day to keep them strong. Apparently, I should continue to use it until I go three years without a new cavity. That's fine and dandy, but sitting around for sixty minutes a day with toothpaste foam in my mouth is one thing while trying to keep from spiting or rinsing as my mouth fills to overflowing with saliva in response to the foam is quite another. Yuck!

3 comments:

Royce and Annika said...

I totally sympathize. I get cavities all the time. And one dental hygienist told me the same thing about saliva. Royce, on the other hand, hasn't flossed since we've been married, and has absolutely ridiculously perfect teeth. Life isn't fair.

amanda cannon said...

you just had to post a picture of a shark didn't you! anyway total bummer holding toothpaste foam in your mouth for an hour a day. that probably gets old kinda fast but i bet mitzi is enjoying the squeaky clean and fresh breath at least. huh. considerate an act of service. :)

Ginnie said...

Sick! I have bad teeth, too. And Chad is one of those that doesn't floss EVER and has never had a cavity. And his mom is a hygenist! I had some prescription toothpaste, but I stopped using it. I didn't have to hold it in my mouth for 30 minutes (yick), but I still didn't like the taste. I just got Crest Pro-Health rinse for night. I'm hoping there's some special flouride/magic in it that will help my teeth. I have a dentist apt. next Tuesday cause...guess what? I think I have a cavity! Oh well. It's been way too long since I've been to the dentist anyway. Good luck!