1. Our pole peas are still growing like crazy. I had to create a frame with string runners to support them as they grew taller and taller. Unfortunately, due to the layout of our garden, it forms something of a wind tunnel that blows from the back yard to the west. This has resulted in our spindly pea poles all leaning east and bunching together. I've had to manually wrap some of their little runners around the westernmost strings and then prop them in place with a couple of spare posts so that they don't all smother each other in a big clump. I think I've got them effectively established now and hopefully blossoms and peas will be showing up soon.
2. I planted four rows of bush beans and they sprouted in less than a week! We've had very warm weather around here lately and I think that made a big difference. The picture below should hopefully illustrate to anyone who's not quite clear on the difference full sun vs. partial sun makes that full sun is the way to go.
3. Our spinach is a failure. It is miserably small and has become more and more yellow even after I restricted its water (I was overwatering until recently and starving the roots of oxygen, at least according to an internet gardening message board). The leaves have also started to brown and die. I think it's too hot now to plant any more so I'm thinking about ripping it all out and using the space for something else. Our carrots are kind of struggling so maybe I'll plant some more in the spinach/beets box. Unfortunately, this box only gets sun until about 1:00pm and then is shaded by our neighbors' mighty willow tree. This is my crossroads dilemma. Any suggestions?
3 comments:
OHHHHH just look at those little broccolis! I love, love , love it! I think it looks great! Have FAITH!!!!!!
Hopefully it will all start to grow better. But looks good, especially for your first try with different soil and all that jazz. Good luck. We're sending good garden vibes your way.
-- Melissa
Looks great! Poor spinach. I can't offer any advice as I am a rookie myself, but good luck and let me know if you find any voodoo that works its magic!
Post a Comment