Friday, July 31, 2009

A Jam-Packed July

(This picture was taken at our ward party while the bishop's band was rocking out. Apparently he wasn't impressed).

I have had a very busy but fun two weeks. Sometimes so much fun can be exhausting. We got back from Redfish and then we went down to Utah for Scott's sister's wedding a few days later. I NEVER take pictures and I fully expect Scott to since he is Mr. Photographer Extraordinaire and wouldn't you know it, he didn't take one picture of Nicole's outrageously beautiful, unique wedding party. I was hoping to steal some from her website but wouldn't you know it, she hasn't posted any yet. It's like she's on her honeymoon or something. So I will have to try to use my wonderful writing skills (ha ha) to try to tell you about it.

The first thing you must know is she somehow convinced Scott's mom to do it at her house. I think this was nearly the death of her and her family. I guess we should feel lucky that we live five hours away and couldn't be around during all of the planning and preparation drama. They worked furiously for the few weeks that they had to get everything looking Janet approved and ready. We showed up the day of and let me tell you things looked great.

Her party was an old fashioned BBQ and everyone was invited including children. There was a huge bounce house for the kids, an carnival-style ice cream cart, and raffled prizes. The back yard was packed with people pretty much the whole night but it was a unique family affair. She also had huge bunches of colorful balloons everywhere including on top of the chimney. I overheard a party guest who said "Only the Cannons could pull something like this off." I think that's really true. They did a great job and it was a good time for the whole family. Later on in the evening the Bluegrass band lead us in some square dancing. It was so fun to learn the old dances like the Virginia Reel. The night was topped off with fireworks. Like I said, nobody plans parties like Nicole! She actually got married on Monday and it was a beautiful sealing. They then had a luncheon at Market Street Grill and I was sad I didn't order the halibut, it was so good. Everyone went around the room and introduced themselves and said one word to describe the bride or groom and Nicole truly is one of the most amazing people that I know and I am so happy for her.

On Sunday night we got together with Scott's buddies from high school and their wives who are now some of our favorite couple friends. We talked and played games for hours it was so much fun. Corbin ended up just spending the night since Micaela was going to baby sit him the next day while we attended wedding-day festivities. Thanks Mica.

We came home on Tuesday and I did all of the laundry to get packed up again to head up to Girls Camp. I left with one of the other leaders and we were there a full two days. We had tons of fun. I have always loved girls camp. Unfortunately with old age I have become the most ridiculous sleeper. One of the leaders was snoring and at 4:30 in the morning I went and crawled in the back seat of a van, at which point I found one of the girl's phones who had an alarm that went off every five minutes! I was trying to figure out how to turn the stupid phone off and after about a half an hour I finally figured it out. I know I'm a little special. Much to my surprise they let me sleep in until 9:30. I hurried and got dressed, grabbed some breakfast, and headed down to flag ceremony. I was very grateful they let an old lady sleep in. Man I needed it. I spent most of my time doing a camp service project sewing humanitarian gifts. I just become obsessed and I can't stop. I really wanted to finish mine before I left. So on Thursday I literally spent any amount of down time working on it. I finally finished just at the closing flag ceremony. I probably should have played games with the girls or gone swimming with them at the lake but I hate an unfinished project and it had to be done. We left girls camp after the testimony meeting and I got home around 1:30 in the morning. It was a windy drive next to the river so it was pretty scary to drive at night but I was glad to be going home to my own bed with my blessed fan and ear plugs. I am a crazy person.

How's this for the longest post without any pictures? Hopefully we can bum some pictures off people later. If you actually read all of this I will be completely impressed. I know my mom will sure appreciate an update. I'm exited for the prospect of things slowing down around here.

While we don't have any pictures, here is an old video we've been meaning to post. Corbin was giving us quite an acrobatic performance the other day with his mom's homemade gum-drop pillow.

7 comments:

Jarom and Melissa said...

Glad that you had fun at Nicole's wedding festivities. We're sorry we missed them. It sounded like it was going to be a blast. Fun that you guys got to see Phil and Michaela too. Love Corbin's flips on the pillow. Fun video. That boy is crazy! I love it!
-- Melissa

Liz said...

That's great you had a fun trip! Call us next time you're down here!

Scot and Jenny said...

Sounds like it's been a fun few weeks. Love the video and I'd just like to know how you got your gum drop pillow to be so non-lumpy. Please do tell!

The Cannons said...

I think it's the fabric. I made another one out of regular quilting fabric and it doesn't hold up nearly as well as that one. It think it's thicker home decor fabric or something.

Jed and Kate said...

I totally read your whole post and it didn't even feel long. That wedding sounds awesome. My mom tried to convince me to do a reception like that and I was way too boring and traditional to go for it. If I had it to do over again, I totally would. What was my problem back then??
You are a real trooper for going to camp. I should probably be going but I just can't take the time off work. Ugh. But dude, I am lucky I don't have your sleep problems. Sounds like torture!
Oh, and Jed and I loved that dance you posted too. Dude, are you guys way bummed that Jeanette went home?? What was up with that. Old news, I know, but I thought for sure she would win the whole thing. Brandon and Kayla are my faves now.
-Kate

mindy said...

your kid is fun :)

BlogMOMster said...

Oh, stop the world! I want to fall on the pillow with Corbin! It looks like so much fun and just what I need after crazy Nicole wedding extravanza. XOXO