Monday, May 16, 2011

I've been craftin' it up!

I haven't sewed anything or done any crafts in months. I haven't been in the mood or had any interest in doing anything crafty. All of the sudden a couple of weeks ago I got the bug again and I've been doing lots of different stuff and for hardly any money. My first project was making a thick blanket for the next baby since she will be living in the pack in play next. I wish I would have made one for Gabby. I'm letting her use it now and it's so much better than the cold hard plastic right? Anyway I didn't want to spend any money on it so I was just planning on using a bunch of scraps. While searching through my scraps I found all of the leftover charm pack that came with the quilt I made for Gabby. Can you believe that those fabrics were in the same charm pack? I'm sorry but the pink and greens did not go with the turquoise and oranges in my opinion. I had just about enough to fill the whole blanket, I had to supplement with a few scraps but it worked out pretty great. The only thing I had to buy was the padding. I was originally going to quilt it but I thought why bother with that so I just layered up some nice padding and stuffed it like a pillow.
These fabrics came together in a charm pack so I got a quilt for each of my girls out of it.
Project number 2 was trying to make a diaper cover. I hate when dresses don't come with bloomers. I used the tutorial from Make it and Love it blog and made one. It's a little special but heck it's better than nothing. Plus I used scraps and some elastic I already had so it was free.
Project number 3 was making temple blocks for my Mia Maids. I was preparing my lesson and looking on the Sugardoodle website for ideas and I found this. Lucky for me Scott had some wood scraps leftover from our garden boxes and my friend Jen's husband is a master woodsman so he cut them to size for me. I didn't like the Boise temple picture from the blog so I used a much superior Scott picture if I do say so myself. I can't even tie a pretty bow plus then you would have to buy the ribbon so I just made flowers from scraps. I ordered the pictures from Costco for super cheap and this little project didn't cost hardly anything. Double lucky I don't have very many Mia Maids so I didn't have to make that many. Although I have decided to make three more for the 2 girls who just left and the one girl coming in two weeks.
The lesson was on temple marriage and the caption says: "I'm Going There Someday."
Project number 4 was trying to make a sweet bib that my friend Sarah had. You can purchase one from this website. I wanted to see if I could try to make one. I made the pattern and everything. Once again it's a little special but maybe the next one will be better. If there is another one that is. I tried to buy a cheap plastic tablecloth from DI to make it out of but it ended up being way too cheap and would have ripped to pieces. I decided I still wanted to see if my pattern was any good so I made the bib out of my old pair of pajamas. The sleeves were too small so I had to make bigger ones. If it was the slicky material that you could wipe off than I would be 100% satisfied. I will have to try to make another one next month maybe when I have the funds to by some proper fabric. Well that's all the projects for now other than crocheting a blanket for my next baby. That takes forever!

2 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

wow! i bet the girls loved their temple picture!!! very cool, mitz! i hope that someday i can be crafty like you!!! :)

Jarom and Melissa said...

You've definitely been busy. Love the diaper cover!