Sunday, November 30, 2008

Banzai! - A Crib Dilemma

We got home from Thanksgiving in Arco today with little more than an hour in which to get showered, groomed, dressed, fed, and ready to get to church. After Mitzi tossed Corbin in the shower with me for a quick scrub-a-dub, she got him dressed and put him in his crib so that she could blow-dry her hair and I could finish preparing my lesson without either of us having to be on baby duty. A few minutes later we heard a hideous THUD followed by an anguished cry from the baby's room.

HE'D CLIMBED OUT OF HIS CRIB!

Hot dang it! This kid is barely 11 months old and he's already learned how to get out of his crib. Fortunately he wasn't hurt too badly and calmed down after a couple of minutes. But now we're in a pickle. What in the world do we do with this boy now? Do we just take our chances and hope we aren't awakened night after night by these death-defying escape attempts? Mitzi and I pretty much agree that this is not an option. So I put the question to you blog followers - any suggestions? Keep in mind too that he is a ceaselessly motile sleeper (a fact which was already giving us toddler-bed nightmares, though they now seem rather benign compared to Kamikaze dives from the top rungs of his crib). We're kind of stumped.

12 comments:

Barb said...

They make little crib tents to keep pets out of the crib and I have seen other moms use them to keep El Bebe confined as well. Good luck!

Anna Beal said...

I noticed while at your house that your crib mattress is on a high setting. Most crib mattresses can be lowered....and trust me...he won't be climbing out then.

Liz said...

I've heard of the crib tents also. Is your crib lowered as much as it can go? Jamison also climbed out of his crib once. I'll never forget the thump. Corbin is definitely too young for a toddler bed, I think. Sorry, I guess I'm not too much of a help in this!

Amber said...

Holy crap that is EARLY to be doing that haha. Grace just learned how to do that and we had to turn her crib into a bed. It surprisingly hasn't been too bad... maybe you will get lucky too! :)

The Cannons said...

Apparently we're retarded and don't know how our crib works. Don't worry it could be lowered and Corbin shouldn't be able to figure out how to escape for at least 6 months. Ha.
Mitzi

mindy said...

net and duct tape.

lol just kidding

Jarom and Melissa said...

Besides lowering your crib, my sister in law used a crib tent from Babies R Us (I'm sure you can find them elsewhere) to keep her baby in the crib. Granted, she was WAY older than little Corbin when she started getting out of the crib. Good luck with figuring out your crib. Man, I'm so glad Bryson is taking his time to be mobile. Yikes. Corbin just wants to jump the gun on everything, I guess. Too funny.
-- Melissa

Jarom and Melissa said...

So we're kind of having a crib dilemma of our own that I remember you dealing with way back when. But I can't exactly remember what you did. Bryson has learned to roll over and prop himself up in his crib rather than take a nap. Those dumb roller bumpers that you strap around them so they don't roll don't work and I have a very tired boy on my hands. Any words of wisdom from someone who's already gone through that stage?
-- Melissa

Sarady said...

Those crib settings are kind of a pain in the butt, but definitely appreciated. Mya still can't climb out of her crib and she's almost three. Maybe there's something wrong with this picture.

Karen said...

Are you kidding me??? No way!! Poor little guy.
Oh, just saw your comment about lowering the crib. Okay, now I feel a little better about Eli's slow physical development. Wasn't Corbin running at 9 months already ;) Actually, I've decided now that Eli CAN actually move around now, I don't too much like it. I want sit still baby back!

BlogMOMster said...

Forget the crib - get a cage.
Love,
Mom

P.S. I'm joking

Jen said...

glad you guys got that figured out! LOL! That was a very funny story indeed.