
The conventional wisdom is that if you want to feel successful at gardening, just plant some zucchini. Growing zucchini is like growing dandelions: foolproof and you'll have more than you bargained for. Well, since the weather has improved around here my potato plants have started to grow like I've never seen. Granted, this is the first time that I've grown potatoes (if you don't count the one year in Provo where we cut a grocery store potato up and put it in the ground, never to hear from it again). But I sure have been caught off guard by how vigorous these plants have been growing. Now I'm all stressed about the "hilling up" aspect of potato growing and making sure there's enough soil for the actual potato tubers to grow in. Depending on how that aspect goes I think zucchini might retain the crown
.

The other crops are coming along nicely, though not across the board. We have some nice, healthy looking bean plants, and some sorry ones. We have some nice, healthy looking beets, and some sorry ones. Same for our lettuce and carrots. Our peas--a Cannon family favorite--are looking like they will be at least as good this year as last and we are very excited to raid the pea patch to eat pods off the vine on cool summer evenings.

Our butterleaf lettuce is doing MUCH better than last year. Corbin loves helping me thin out the plants as they grow because he gets to help me eat the losers. We may have some good salad lettuce soon. How exciting!
3 comments:
How fun! I hope to have a yard and a garden in it someday!
Good job! I've decided that I do not have much of a green thumb. If it is a high maintenance plant, it will eventually die.
Good work! Seems like you've got the gardening thing down. Good for you guys.
Post a Comment