Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The joy of nursing…NOT!

Let me count the ways that I hate nursing. I am finally done and I can’t be more happy about it. I lasted three months, I really can’t believe it. I almost quit after two weeks, and six weeks seemed like an impossible goal. I have truly succeeded. The reason I am writing this post is to get a different perspective out there. It just seems like all you ever hear is how wonderful it is and if you don’t want to then you are the devil. It seemed to me like every time I had a question about nursing, I would look for the answer online or in books and all I would hear is mothers talking about how much they love it, how spiritual it is, and how it’s their most favorite thing ever! I hate that I feel guilty, selfish, and like an anti-mom if I don’t want to nurse. I really don’t think it is for everyone. Why don’t I like nursing you ask? Let me tell you.

1) Time: I would take 40 minutes to feed Corbin and I would have to do that every 2 to 3 hours. Do the math; nursing becomes a full-time job.

2) Worry: I was constantly stressed that he wasn’t getting enough food. Every time he fussed I would think, “Maybe he’s hungry?” I am the type of person that wants to know exactly how much my child is eating, and I’m talking ounces people.

3) Anxiety: I hated the feeling that my life revolved around Corbin getting hungry. What if the home teachers were over? What if I was in the middle of feeding him and the door bell rang? Doing errands, forget about it. I also felt so much pressure that I was the sole means of my child’s survival. I felt too much pressure from that, along with hating that nobody else could help me.

4) PAIN: Ok, I know that it is supposed to hurt a little at the beginning until your body adjusts. You shouldn’t have any real problems after that, right? Wrong. I don’t know why but I think some people are more prone to problems. Case in point: I got mastitis, twice. Not only that, but I had clogged ducts at least once a week and I would stress that it would develop into mastitis if I didn’t get it worked out. I think once you get mastitis you are more prone to it as well. My mom nursed four babies without any problems and then on the 5th she developed mastitis. After that, she continued to get it again and again. My sister-in-law got it three times in a matter of a few weeks.

Now I am not saying that nursing is bad. I know that it has numerous health benefits for both mom and baby: It is the perfect blend of everything that the baby needs for up to 6 months of life, and it is dirt cheap. I can’t argue with that. I also don’t want to scare other people into not wanting to nurse. I hope that you love it and that it works out for you. I just want to get it out there that not everyone loves it, and it is not easy and natural for everyone. People treat it as if one size fits all and let’s face it, that just not the case. I think people need to withhold judgment on mothers if they aren’t nursing. I love being a mom and just because I don’t nurse my baby doesn’t mean I don’t love him or I am a bad person. I could seriously rant about this for pages but I think I have made my point.


Before I end I want to add a couple of tips to help some of you, though I learned some of them too late. The only reason that I lasted as long as I did was because I pretty much pumped exclusively. I found that pumping really worked well for me. I liked having the freedom of pumping on my own time and not on the baby's time. I only had to do it every 4 hours for 10 minutes. That made it a huge time saver. Pumping also allows other people to help with feeding the baby, and the baby still gets all of the great nutrients. If, for some reason, your milk production slows down, I found that the herb Fenugreek helps to bring it back up. I also discovered much too late that the herb Lecithin helps to keep your milk thin and prevent the development of clogged ducts. I hope that this information is useful to you nursing mothers out there who may be in need of some extra help. Good Luck.

12 comments:

Anna Beal said...

Oh boy do I have to agree with you on that Mitzi! Everything you described is how I feel about it! Nursing stinks! Thank goodness for pumps and formula.

Liz said...

My thoughts exactly. Thank you for putting it into words. I cried for 4 months while I nursed. Bring on the double electric pumper for #2!

Amber said...

haha! Nursing really isn't a one size fits all and people get really judgmental sometimes. It is WAY annoying. My personal nursing fit is the first six months. After that, I am DONE! I was fine with it for that amount of time but once Grace got to six months she got really tough to nurse. She just wanted to play and it was tough to get her to focus.

People just need to do what works for them and stop judging other people if they choose to live their lives differently!!! so a big "AMEN" to that post girl! :)

The Cannons said...

I just wanted to support my dear wife in this post. Watching her go through that first bout of Mastitis so soon after delivering a new baby was awful. She would start crying (and Mitzi is not much of a crier, outside of speaking in church that is) when Corbin would start acting hungry. Then she would cry in pain the whole time he was eating, and sometimes that was for almost an hour. She couldn't sleep, she couldn't lie down, and she could barely do anything without being in serious pain. It was a horrible experience, just to watch. After it finally got resolved, Mitzi's whole life has revolved around NOT developing Mastitis again! The second she would detect even a hint of a clogged duct, it was Defcon 1 around the Cannon house. I totally supported her quitting breastfeeding (in spite of the financial disadvantage) because I had seen what she had been through hour after hour, day after day, and I would have quit a long time ago. She really gave it her best shot, and I am sincerely proud of her for moving forward through all of the pain, worry, and fear she has been saddled with since the get go. Way to go Mitz!

Scott

Jarom and Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing your perspective and a few tips. I don't envy the mastitis and the clogged ducts, that's for sure. And when Bryson gets here, I'm sure some of those tips will come in handy, especially the one about pumping.
-- Melissa

Sarady said...

Mitzi,
Good for you for doing what is best for YOU. Where's the "so-called joy" if the cons of breastfeeding outweigh the pros? (And there are some major cons.) It's a shame La Leche League has to guilt mothers into thinking their children are going to grow a third arm if they use formula. Kudos to you for making it three months, especially with all that pain. And kudos to the formula people for figuring out how to replicate breast milk.

Sarah

M said...

I love that you put another perspective out there. I've had completely different experiences with my girls. Emma was a lot easier to nurse than Vera. I've had people near and dear to me that just physically can not nurse: one- her milk NEVER came in and another had inverted ... and even with pumping and shields her supply dried up within 3 weeks. Both of them felt horrible and I was frustrated that people would pass judgement. Aren't we all mothers trying our best, can't we all just get along?

Esther Noelle said...

Mitzi,

Good for you! It is so hard to escape the judgmental eye of other moms. I don't understand why women do this! I'm surprised you lasted as long as you did with as many problems as you had! I have to say "amen" to your reasons - when Robby was nursing every 2 HOURS for the first 4 months it was so hard and I felt like it ran my life and often resented it! When I finally learned to make him hold out and we went to 4 hours it got better and we lasted 10 months but even NOW I feel other moms judging me for being completely done with nursing! I have learned that i can NOT judge other moms for the choices they make, the behavior of their children, etc!

Anyways, formula has been liberating! :)

Ginnie said...

Hey. This is Ginnie (I was Melissa Guthrie's roomie at BYU). Anyway, I TOTALLY agree about nursing. I stopped at 3 months, too. I felt really guilty (mostly for how the other moms in the ward would look down on me), but then I decided it was my life and I knew what was best for me and for Cameron. Formula has been amazing, and if you guys qualify for WIC, you can get it for free! Nice govt. programs! Anyway, I applaud you for sticking with it for so long. Next time around, I'm going to do it for a few weeks (to get that initial weight loss action going) and then do formula, I think. Why have the anxiety and pain if you don't have to?!

Unknown said...

All I can say is I witnessed the pain and toil firsthand, and it was SO NOT WORTH IT! You hung in there WAY longer than I would have! Im just glad I get to reap the benefits of all your research and boob knowlege! oh how I dread latching on the little sucker for the first time..im just SURE its going to leach the life right OUT of me!

Amanda said...

It's amazing how different everyone's experiences can be. You feel judged for quitting and I feel judged for continuing (and mine's only 11 mos).

If there is a next time around, I found this book extremely helpful, though I don't remember if it addresses mastitis. The Latch and Other Keys to Breastfeeding Success.

Life with the Warrens said...

I really believe there is only a small group of people out there that "enjoy" nursing. i know that i was happy when it was over at 9 and 11 months. it was seriously a load off my chest! You making the decision for you and your baby was the best decision possible. kudos to you!!