Thursday, April 24, 2008

Utah-ventures: Sandy and Draper

So while I was in Utah last week, I decided to take a little trip to see how the construction was progressing on the Draper Temple. I also enjoy anytime I get to drive the scenic Wasatch Blvd route along the eastern foothills.

On this drive, I couldn't help but stop at the biggest house I have ever seen that happens to be about 10 minutes from my parents' house. One of the people I worked with while I was in Utah happens to live in that neighborhood and told me that the guy who owns that house doesn't even live there. This house is his "Utah house" for when he comes to visit. Apparently he's some kind of oil baron, in which case, I think we may all be in the wrong line of work. Anyway, the pictures don't really show how big it actually is, so I've also included a satellite photo to show it in comparison to the LDS chapel that is just down the road, as well as compared to a "normal" sized Sandy home. According to what I was able to look up on this house, it is 31,027 square feet (over 22 x the size of our 1,388 square feet Boise house), its tax assessed value is $4,970,000 (over 26 x our $190,200 Boise house), and the annual property taxes on it are $34,000 (0ver 28 x ours of $1,207), and its garage is 2,197 square feet (less than 4 x the size of our 580 square foot garage).




Then we (in this case Richard and I) continued our trip to the Draper temple. Once we arrived, we continued along the road that headed up above the temple onto the mountainside and I saw the other biggest house I have ever seen. I don't know which is bigger because I can't find the stats on the Draper house. But anyway, it just goes on and on. We wanted to go inside, since it is still under construction, but some dude driving a hummer came out and told us "No trespassing." So no dice there. It was still pretty impressive from the outside alone, though I have to say that some of the workmanship did not seem up to "filthy rich" standards. Anyway, here are pictures:


I don't really know what you're supposed to get out of this post. I guess I just felt badly that we haven't posted anything for a while. Plus I wanted other people to see how obscenely large some people's houses are.

7 comments:

Anna Beal said...

I can't wait till the Lord comes and burns everytihing to the ground. I would love to see thier faces. I don't want to be mean or anything, but don't these people know that there are still starving people in the world. I guess they probably don't really care.

Jarom and Melissa said...

Wow. Those houses are incredible. While I can only imagine the lifestyle one must live in order to feel that a home like that is practical, I certainly appreciate what cool construction and work goes into them. Pretty sweet.

Jarom

The Cannons said...

I know. I can't help but admire the construction, architecture, and money that goes into houses like this. It blows my mind. However, I couldn't help but think "What if you left your wallet on one end of the house and didn't realize it until you were in the garage at the other end. It would take you ten minutes to go get it and get back." One of several downsides to such a large home. On the other hand, you could probably afford a robot to go get it for you.

Scott

BlogMOMster said...

Scott, it was so great to have you around for a few days. WE loved it. Come again soon, even if you have to settle for a less than giant house for accommodations.

Royce and Annika said...

There's a Mormon myth that I've heard passed around in my parents' ward in Utah--that President Hinckley was driving by to check on the temple's progress and said something to the effect that "I hope these are not our members homes. They're ridiculous." Probably not true, but it sure does make you think! Honestly who needs a house that size?

Annika

Sarady said...

What does one do in a house of that magnitude?

Gabe & Christy said...

wow - that IS the biggest house I have ever seen. I pity the maids that have to sweep those floors. Mine are significantly less daunting and I curse them daily for their hugeness!

The temple on the other hand looks spectacular! Temple construction always amazes me. I dont know how they come up with the beautiful architecture that is so uniquely different for each one.