Tuesday, July 8, 2008

There ARE people Nerdier than I


I feel a little bit badly about posting this so soon after Mitzi's St. George post, but I can't help myself. Mitzi frequently talks about what a nerd she married, what with my Book of Mormon maps PowerPoint presentation, my ability to recite the entire Ringspell (the engraving on Sauron's ring) in both the common tongue and blackspeech, and my love affair with the Cannon Family Budget spreadsheet. Well, today it was confirmed to both of us that there are people out there WAY nerdier than I am. Don't get me wrong, I would totally get along with many of these people and I'm sure we would have a lot to talk about, but it's just funny to see what some people find time for.

The top video is someone passing the first of the Dr. Wily stages on Mega Man 2 without getting hit. Now, anyone who's played the Mega Man series can tell you that Mega Man 2 is one of the easier of the 6 or 7 plus variations, but that's still pretty impressive. Getting back to the point, the reason I posted this was for you to hear the music. As a kid I remember thinking this music was way cool, as was much of the music in the Mega Man series. Consequently, in a flight of nostalgia, I have begun downloading the soundtracks to various video games and I listen to them on my computer whilst working. If you think that's nerdy, check out what this next guy does...



Nerdier still, if not only for the fact that guitars are generally considered cooler than Mario Paint, the next guy spent the obscene amount of time necessary to compose the Mega Man music on Mario Paint's music program. For those of you who are fans of HomestarRunner.com, Mario Paint is where they got some of their start: the program allowed you to make nifty (albeit poor quality) animations and compose music for them all on your Super Nintendo (they even have some of their old Mario Paint animations on their website). Having used Mario Paint, I can attest that the amount of time it would take for someone of even moderate skill to compose such a score as is featured below could, within reason, be described as "obscene."


There really are people out there who make my nerdiness look like an amateurish exercise in posery.

6 comments:

Anna Beal said...

I never liked the game Mega Man...it was way too hard. But my brother Derek loved it. At least you can admit your a nerd. Gotta love it!

BlogMOMster said...

Grammar police - your title should read "... Nerdier than ME" as "than" is a preposition and "me" is the object of the preposition ("I" is the subjective case and its use improper as an object). How's that for nerdery?

The Cannons said...

Now I know I'm probably wrong about this, but I wrote "...Nerdier than I" because of the rule of thumb used to determine whether or not you use I or me. In this case, if you completed the sentence by saying "...Nerdier than I am" compared to "...Nerdier than me is" then it is obvious which pronoun is correct. However, seeing as you used all of that grammatical terminology, I assume you're probably correct.

Scott

Jarom and Melissa said...

Jarom:

I am crying tears of laughter over your mom's grammar post. Hilarious! I agree that your mother is probably correct because she obviously knows a few more rules than I am...uh...me is...uh, whatever.

The point is, I know exactly what phrase Scott was referring to in his title, and I believe it is purely an issue of style, and said phrase only serves to make him sound even nerdier. IMHO *Ahem*

Peace Out.
Jarom

amanda cannon said...

My nerd level just increased by 20% after experiencing this post.

Clark Cannon said...

HOLY DUMP!!!! That Mario Paint (do i go up in nerd status for knowing what progrum was before you said what it was on your blog... or maybe that i said progrum instead of program... or for sure i go up in nerd status for haveing written the beginning part of People of the Sun by Rage Against the Machine on Mario Paint) song is PREPOSTEROUS!!!!