Monday, June 29, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance...Is On!

Mitzi's and my favorite show (of the summer at least) is on and it's as brilliant as ever! For some reason it seems like for every person we meet who watches SYTYCD, we meet two who watch Dancing with the Stars. I can think of a couple of reasons for this. First, Dancing is on during the prime fall and spring seasons when most people are in their TV grooves. Second, Dancing involves "stars" of sorts that people are already somewhat familiar with and therefore more attached to and interested in from the outset. (Notably, Stars also features professional dancers as the stars' partners, several of whom are alumni from SYTYCD, including the little, blonde, Mormon girl, Chelsie Hightower, who dances in the hip-hop routine at the bottom of this post.)

Well, this year is going to be the first year when SYTYCD moves into the prime fall season, I'm assuming because it has done so well in its summer slot. They're actually doing two seasons back to back this year - the one we're about half-way through now and then a new fall edition. Exciting!

Anyway, for those of you who don't know what you're missing out on, we wanted to do a post and share some of our favorite dances. We have TONS of favorite dances because they do some darn impressive stuff on this show, but there's no way we could post them all. As I'm sure can also be said of Dancing with the Stars, the viewers at home have no control over some of the ridiculous costumes (and even the judges acknowledge the most heinous ensembles), and the selection of routines we're showing here aren't terrible offenders, but consider yourselves forewarned - some weeks would prove a fashion police bonanza!

This first routine is the one that really got our attention in Season 2. It's kind of Thriller-esque, with the whole dancing undead theme, and we love it! The choreographer is Wade Robson.


The next routine was one of the first of Season 3. This was by the same choreographer as the zombie dance above and his work is consistently outstanding. This is the "dancing hobos" routine.



This routine was also choreographed by Wade Robson for the first week of the current season. I'll let them explain the dance in the video.

This next dance is from one of my favorite genres, Disco! This is probably my favorite disco routine they've done on the show, and I love almost all of their disco routines! So good.



Finally, one of our favorite hip-hop routines from last season. It's about a couple struggling with issues everyone can identify with: the husband's long hours at work and the wife's unfortunate outfit. Timely and timeless.



I would totally post more, but last time I did a post like this it seriously slowed down our blog for visitors and ourselves, so I must refrain. But consider this an invitation to join us from 7:00pm to 9:00pm on Wednesdays and 8:00pm to 9:00pm on Thursdays for the extravaganza!

8 comments:

Liz said...

Walker asked me the other day if you'd done your annual SYTYCD post yet :) Loving this season!

Jen said...

OHHHH man, I knew it! I just knew it! I loved those! YIKES! Somebody stop me!

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

When are you guys going to go on the show?

You guys would blow them all out of the water :)

The Cannons said...

Very funny.
Mitzi

Jarom and Melissa said...

Wow, you guys are obsessed. But I guess it's an OK obsession. We don't watch TV anymore, so it' nice to see some of the dances on your blog. I liked the hip hop dance from last season and the disco one was pretty cool too. When Jarom sees my comment he's going to wonder about me, but oh well. Any LDS folks on the show this season?
-- Melissa

scooping it up said...

This is a random comment from Jarom's sis Staci who was blog hopping. Our daughter Janie loved the Bleeding Love routine last year and I cried my eyes out the first time I saw it. I still think it has to be one of the most powerful and well-executed numbers on the show ever. Anyway, when we rewatched it tonight on your blog 3 yr old Jane said at the end "Is she sad because she lost her prince?" Hilarious.

Terri said...

Jen Holyoaks sister here. Just want to say thank you for the recap and the joyful news of a fall season. My husband is going to physically cry when I tell him. Not his love affair just mine.

Jed and Kate said...

Such a freaking good show. What is wrong with people who like Dancing with the Stars More? BLEGH!!