I've been looking forward to Corbin taking swimming lessons even before he was born, when I found out my visting teaching partner taught them. I wish I was a better swimmer, but considering I grew up in a town without a swimming pool and I swam in a ditch and canal my whole life I'm not too bad. My vt partner said the earliest she took kids was age 3. Well summer came around and by the time I talked to her she was already booked. So I was a little bummed about that. Luckily I knew another lady in our ward that did swimming lessons so I talked to her. She told me to call and leave her a message so I did. I didn't hear from her for 2 months. I thought oh well, next year. The day before swim lessons started she gave me a call and told me what time to come. His swimming lessons were for 9 days.
Day one I took Corbin and he freaked out and screamed louder than I even knew he could scream and he wouldn't stop screaming so the teacher made me leave. By the time I came back he was fine, so I don't know how long he was a drama mama. We missed the next two days because we were in Redfish. When we came back he was fine. He never cried again until he had to switch from wearing his arm floaties to a marshmellow. The same horrible scream came back and eventually I was able to calm him down. He never cried about the marshmellow again. Some questions in life will never be answered. Anyway he was a great swimmer. He would have been one of the best swimmers in the class if he would have put his whole head in the water and blown his bubbles. He would either just put his mouth in the water and blow bubbles or he would put his whole his in the water and hold his breath. He wouldn't put his whole head in AND blow bubbles, which is pretty important in learning how to swim. He was great at digging and kicking though and next year he will be a pro. His teacher was awesome she wouldn't let any of the kids get out of doing anything. I was really glad Corbin got to take lessons from her.
The kids would have to sit on the side until it was their turn. That was pretty hard, they were constantly jumping in, kicking their legs, and creating all kinds of mayheim. I was getting after Corbin the whole time. I don't blame them though, that's hard for little kids to just sit and wait.




1 comment:
Look at him go!
Post a Comment