Thursday, August 7, 2008

Redfish Lake - 2008

Every year my family has a camp out at Redfish Lake near Stanley, ID. This year most of the family had other things going on which left just Hart's family, our family, my parents and the brats who still live at home (although Chase is going to BYU-I in a few weeks! Crazy). Anyway I would not recommend taking a crawling baby camping, but we all survived it alright. He did fairly well and we still had a lot of fun. Scott and I only came up for one night because I knew I wouldn't be able to handle much longer than that. We went on a lot of bike rides, played in the lake, played games, and ate yummy food. We sat around the campfire talking and telling stories until midnight. My dad told a story that nobody had heard before and we were all dying laughing. Good times were had by all.

This is a picture from the 40-mile detour we took in the wrong direction. We missed the turnoff at Banks, ID (which showed up on Mapquest as the same size as every other city) because Banks, ID is ONE BUILDING! Yep, we blew past it and had a rather enjoyable and scenic drive until we got to Smith's Ferry (pictured above from the town's bridge) and realized we had way-overshot the mark.

This is a picture from the correct portion of the drive up. That 40-mile detour added about an hour to our trip, but it was OK because it was very scenic.

Corbin had a fun time playing and trying to eat the sand on the first day but wasn't as thrilled about it the second day. The first day he tried to go swimming by himself by crawling straight into the lake--he wasn't scared at all. But awhile after that he wouldn't even put his feet in the water without freaking out. Funny baby, although I can't say I blame him--the water is FREEZING!

Here is Corbin in his weird head-down funny-face position. Watch the video to see what I am talking about.

Scott was more than willing to bring up Lord of the Rings Risk when Keaton asked him to. I was just glad I didn't have to play.
It was awesome! Even though Hart was relentless in trying to take away my thinly held northern territories, I managed to hold on to Mirkwood (receiving four extra battalions per turn and four extra points at the end of the game) and take Gondor away from Keaton to steal the game! I ended up with 34 points, Keaton and Kelsey tied with 29 and Hart came in with 25 - not bad for his first time.


I'm not so sure how Corbin feels about camping. By the time this picture was taken I don't think he thought it was all that great.

I had to hold him in the water the second day but we still had fun. Daddy took us for a row boat ride.

While we were packing up, Corbin was so tired he fell asleep in Granny's arms. She probably has the magic touch after having 9 children herself. Corbin NEVER sleeps in my arms which can make three hours of church a nightmare. Oh and this picture about sums up the drive home except for the last 20 minutes when he had had enough!



Corbin does this weird, intense head bob where he flexes his body and shakes his head down. It is so funny. He also holds his arms out straight in the air and flexes them. He's a crazy baby.

8 comments:

Scot and Jenny said...

I'm glad you guys had fun, although I think I'm with you and Corbin...I'm not a HUGE fan of camping either. One day is OK but after that I am way over it. By the way SUPER cute bathing suit! I need a new one ASAP.

BlogMOMster said...

Hey funny headbob - what's that all about?! He looks like he's trying so hard to be sociable and interactive. What a wonderful, cute little fellow. Way to hang in there and dominate the world of Lord of the Rings. Scott rules!

Anonymous said...

Corbin looks so cute in all his camping gear! Nice and toasty. That video is so funny of his head bob. He's so cute!

Unknown said...

1. We are dying to know what funny story your dad told
2. That picture of corbin in the stroller was pretty much the best. It basically summed up how I feel about camping too!
3. Gabe and I died laughing at the flex head bob video. WHERE DID THIS KID COME FROM? hes definitely more fun than a bowl of oatmeal. our book was way wrong.

Anna Beal said...

Dang cute swimming suite! I was going to order that exact one but decided to wait a couple more summers...(after the next baby). I wish we could have come but I wasn't going to drag my kids out there without Alex. Looks like it was fun times.

Kristine Elaine said...

You two...or three I should say...are always going on vacations. Geez...I wish i had your life. But I do love reading about it!

Jill Manning said...

Mitzi, your bathing suit is adorable...where did you get it? I want it!!!

rendar2 said...

Mitzi Beal!! Holy Crap!! Never though I'd see you again. What a cute family you have & your baby is soooooo cute. Check me & my hubby out at http://www.thebuckleybunch.blogspot.com/

I'm so happy to see you again!! It's been too long!!

Love-

Amber (Nielsen) Buckley