Saturday, February 7, 2009

Close Call

I watched a segment on The Today Show a few months ago about old dryers causing people's houses to burn down. They recommended a few tips, one of those being that you don't leave the dryer running when you are gone or in bed. Ever since then I have tried to be careful about this. On Monday I was doing laundry and I noticed that it smelled kind of weird in the laundry room. I then felt the dryer and it burned my hand. I immediately turned it off. When Scott came home he checked it out and this is what we found:The wall was starting to melt and burn. The picture below is the back of our dryer.
Scary! Needless to say the function in our dryer that keeps it from heating up was broken. We got rid of our old set of washer and dryer and bought a "new" set off of craigslist for $150. We can't afford brand new ones so once again I'm going to have to keep an eye out for any funny business.

8 comments:

Scot and Jenny said...

Jeez, good thing you checked!

Melissa said...

So glad you found it before it was too late. Sorry about having to get a new dryer. Yuck! But, better safe than sorry.

The Pucketts said...

Oh my gosh! That's way scary! I'm glad I know this now. We have a way old dryer so I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on it.

Jen said...

YIKES! That is some scary business my friend. Good thing you didn't burn down your "secret" entry to your house that would be a shame.

Anna Beal said...

HOLY CRAP! That is soooo scarry! I am SOOOOO glad you were there to catch that. We also can't afford "NEW", so there is a place over by you that fixes up used washers and dryers. He replaces parts and sells them for a really good deal. That is where we got ours. He'll even give you a warantee.

Unknown said...

wow, scary! the house in boise that just blew up had a similar dryer problem! good thing you guys are on top of your bizness and solved the problem!

The Cannons said...

Anna, that is where we got our washer and dryer the first time. Unfortunately neither one worked out. Our washing machine wasn't working properly either. Sad times. We got a better deal off of craigslist, that is if this set doesn't try to burn down our house.
Mitzi

Sarady said...

How would I find out all these cool tips unless I came to your blog? I wouldn't. I am going to check our dryer right now. It's old, and I can't rely on my sense of smell to save me (I don't have one).