Sunday, February 1, 2009

Shelf Reliance

Back when we lived in Provo I saw a food storage rotation system on sale at Wal-Mart for something like $350-$450. Having recently gotten married and having my priorities all get shuffled around, I immediately realized that buying this was a must. Unfortunately we were living in a quaint little duplex and the only places we could have put such a large contraption would have been next to our front door or next to our bed. As finances and space limitations conspired against me I had to pass the opportunity up and hope that I would have another opportunity down the line to pick one up.

That opportunity was Thursday. We went to Costco in the morning to pick up some stuff to get ready for my family's visit to Boise that weekend. That week happened to be the week that this kid from Provo was in town selling food storage rotation systems from a company called Shelf Reliance. We stopped to talk with him for a moment and when he told me that their largest system was on sale for $270. That was still a lot, but then I remembered that the last time I had seen such a system on the market it was priced at around $100-$200 more. I pretty much made up my mind that we were going to buy one within about a minute-and-a-half, but I needed to deliberate a bit longer just to not feel like this was an impulse buy or that I was being totally irresponsible by making such a large purchase decision so swiftly. Then I remembered that I've been wanting one of these for several years now and haven't even seen them on sale since that day back at Wal-Mart in Provo, and that I actually just figured out a good food storage program that we've been carrying out for two months now. Sold!

We picked that puppy up on our way out and my dad helped me put it together on Friday after they got into town. We have a nice place for it right next to our freezer in the garage and my dad had the brilliant idea to build a rolling platform for it. That way, when it weighs 7,452 pounds all full of cans and we need to move somewhere, we won't have to dead lift it straight from the floor. So as soon as we got it assembled we took a quick trip to Home Depot and bought some sturdy 3/4" plywood (and almost ruined the Home Depot guy's day when he misheard the dimensions and cut a piece 27.5" x 25.5" in stead of the 37.5" x 25.5" I'd told him - he acted like his boss was going to take it out of his paycheck or make him run laps all night or something), wheels, and screws. We put together the platform with Corbin's help and attached the storage unit and IT IS NOW THE COOLEST THING EVER!

I haven't actually put any cans in it yet, though I'm happy to say that we have a whole bunch a green beans and olives that will soon be calling that rack their home. The system also came with a cool set of organizer magnets that can: 1) help you know what your cans are if you can't read the label (duh) 2) or help you know what things you still need based on the labels underneath all of your empty sections. Mitzi doesn't think they're that awesome but I DO!

They also have some that are blank that you can write on with a dry erase market to customize your storage experience. Awesome!

12 comments:

Karen said...

Wow, that thing is awesome. I'm so jealous!! And also jealous of the extra freezer. Ahh, one day when we have a house...
And the rolling platform is awesome too! Great job guys!

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

oh stop. you're just trying to win that survior game. it's on baby Ü

Scot and Jenny said...

That is really cool. I'm jealous. I really want to start some kind of food storage system but we really don't have anywhere to put it. Maybe we will have to look in to doing something in the garage too. Anyway...good job on being responsible!

Anna Beal said...

Good thing that sells guy didn't come by here....Alex totally would've bought one..FOR SURE!

Barb said...

My in-laws recently gave each of their kids money towards emergency food storage. We just went to Costco all together on our shopping spree and my brother-in-law was telling me all about this contraption.

Jen said...

Oh man , I am soooo jealous! I would love to have one of those! You guys are so going to win the survivor game and I'm only saying that because I think we are going to be in the same tribe. If we aren't then game on. OH and I have to agree with Scott , I like the labels too! Sorry Mitz but whats not to like about that.

Mitzi Beal said...

It's not that I'm a hater. I just don't think they are that impressive. I mean what can you see easier a big picture of green beans on the label or a tiny magnet? I'm just saying.

Jen said...

I'm just sayin! LOL! Your crackin me up girl!

Ilene and Zac Thatcher said...

We've been wondering about those things since I first saw them. I think we'll be investing in one in the future. The problem is just where to put it!

Sarady said...

This is inspiring.

Jarom and Melissa said...

We have a similiar one and we love it. It definitely comes in handy and helps rotate food storage. Happy purchase!
-- Melissa

Anonymous said...

I love that storage shelf. I saw one at costco too and told Adam that we need one when we get a place of our own.