Friday, January 6, 2012

Fail!


Okay, only read this if you are interested in ready a lot about my failed attempt to potty train. I will just start out by saying that I knew it would be really hard but I obviously thought I would be successful. I will also say that I still believe in the 3 day potty training method but Gabby was not ready. The author talks about signs of readiness but I just thought if I trained her she would just do it. I think with a less stubborn child and a child who was less of a scardy cat probably could have done it even without showing signs of readiness.

Day 1: 9:30 the diaper comes off and the underwear comes on. I got a late start. I slept in that day, I was kind of procrastinating the whole thing. All of her underwear were ginormous and I had to bring them all in (that should have been my first clue). So basically you go straight to underwear day and night. You have them wear just the underwear and a shirt. This is so you can more easily catch every accident. So the idea is you give them all the power. You never go have them try to go. You just sit and wait. You also constantly watch them like a hawk and say "tell mommy when you need to go potty" about a thousand times a day. Or things like, "good job keeping your underwear dry, tell mommy when you need to go potty." So for 4 days when it wasn't nap time or bedtime Gabby was within a few feet of me all day. If she went into her bedroom I went into her bedroom. If I went in the laundry room I took Gabby with me into the laundry room. When they eventually have an accident you are supposed to catch it and rush them to the bathroom. Gabby was so sneaky and quick that even when she was right in front of my face I would miss it while it was actually happening. This process is incredibly annoying and taxing I must say. The only way it's even possible with 2 other children is because my other 2 children are must less demanding anyway. It kind of works out to have your most demanding child need to have all of your attention. It was the most difficult when I needed to nurse Piper. I would try to get Gabby to sit by me and read stories or watch a show. If Gabby had an accident I would stop nursing and put Piper down and rush her to the bathroom. You can't do anything during this process. It's difficult to do a task as easy as cleaning up the breakfast dishes. I waited until nap time and I exercised and got showered for the day. Nap time was my happy place.

I try to train my children on the big potty from the beginning. I don't like the idea of a small potty chair. I think they are gross and take up way too much room in my small bathroom. I should have known better than to try to make Gabby do this however. She was absolutely terrified of sitting on the toilet. In fact she is terrified of riding in a grocery cart too. Anyway after an accident I would rush her to the toilet and try to sit her down and she would scream and straighten her legs. It was no good. Finally on day 3 I borrowed the toilet seat that you put on the toilet. This did not help. By day 4 I borrowed a potty chair. She would actually sit on this but she never went pee in it. Can you tell it was a long 4 days? One in which I did a lot of laundry and cleaned up a lot of accidents. That being said she absolutely did learn over those days. She learned great bladder control. She didn't want to go to the bathroom so she would hold it forever. She would also know when it was going to happen so she learned how the whole thing worked but she just did not want to go in the toilet. I think it was too scary for her, even on the little toilet. One time she started to go potty and she started to cry and say "Uh oh, pee!" It was so cute and sad at the same time.

It was hard giving her rewards because she never once in 4 days even got one ounce of potty in the toilet. But I would do things like feel her underwear and feel they were dry and say "good job keeping your underwear dry," and give her a treat. Or I would give her a treat after sitting on the toilet even for a second. I think if I would have stuck with it longer maybe she would have gotten over it and finally peed in the toilet but it wasn't worth it. By Thursday I was done, during her nap I decided it was time to end it so I busted out her big reward treat and Scott, Corbin, and I ate it. I put on a diaper at 4:00 and decided to take my life back.

Even though Gabby was scared to use the bathroom I think the whole experience was pretty positive for her. She obviously got a ton of mommy time. She got rewards and snacks and tons of juice. I'm hoping that this will just make it so when she is ready that she will be trained very quickly. But I could be wrong about that too.

By Thursday I was so defeated and exhausted. I told Scott that it felt like I was in my college Genetics class all over again. I tried so hard in that class. I got a tutor and worked my tail off and I still failed the class. I got an F before I ever got a C, I still haven't gotten a C before. Anyway this felt like the same thing, I was trying so hard and I felt like I was doing everything right and I was failing! I feel like I wasted 4 days of my life and maybe a few years off my life. That's okay though, sometimes its good to have hard experiences where you fail. In the end it's about Gabby and she has to do it, and she just wasn't ready. The end!

7 comments:

E B said...

Potty training is so hard until the kid is truly ready and willing. I had to try three times with my oldest before she was ready, but she had no big problems when she finally was. With moving and settling in when the second was ready, I waited too long and she trained herself! Both preferred the little potty for at least a while, since the big potty is big enough to swallow them whole when they're that age! Let her be the guide. It's SO much easier.

Jen said...

LOL! CRotch watcher! You gave it your best Mitz! You sure did!

Anna Beal said...

So sorry Mitzi. That sucks. I kind of laughed when you mentioned you were gonna do that, but I was really hoping it would work. I've NEVER taken a big effort on potty training, it has just kind of come on its own...(at 3yrs old). Anyway, I should try this on Logan. He's pretty scared of the toilet though.

Unknown said...

You pretty much summed up my entire parenting experience so far... But the good news is someday even gabby will be brave enough to use the potty! A valiant effort I must say!

Melissa said...

She'll get it. Good job for trying though. By the way, do you have any tips on keeping a kid dry at night? Bryson's totally potty-trained for awhile, but he still wets the bed and forgets to get up and go at night. Just wondering.

Mitzi Beal said...

This is from that 3 day potty training book but you don't give your kids anything to drink for 2 to 3 hours before bed. You also try to get them to go 2 times before bed. If they don't wake up dry after that. She says after they go to bed pull up a mattress and sleep next to them and every time you hear them rouse ask them if they need to go potty. That sounds terrible to me. Luckily it only took Corbin one night of waking up wet in his underwear. He never did it again. Amazing. I think I would rather just wake them up in the middle of the night to pee rather than do the mattress thing. But really if you don't let them drink I think he should be able to wake up dry. I never even worry about it anymore because Corbin has done so well with it. He drinks before bed and doesn't have a problem. I did do the 2 hour thing for a while though. After a while I didn't worry about it and it hasn't been a problem.

Royce and Annika said...

That sounds so much like the first time I tried to potty train Bridget. Same method, same reaction. She now has AMAZING bladder control cause she was so scared of it. In the end I still love the 3 day thing, but at just under two, she was sooooo not ready even though the author says any kid is ready at that age. Don't believe it.

Oh, and the biggest turning point for us when she actually did learn--after 2 1/2--was getting her a little potty and having her decorate it with stickers and really make it 'hers'.