Sunday, March 4, 2012

Kid Quotes and Other Things

Funny quotes from this week. Corbin "Mom, I think Gabby is up can I go get her?" Me "I don't know if I want to open that can of worms." Corbin: "I think that can of worms wants to get up."

Gabby: "Play zombies." Me: "No we aren't playing zombies right now." Gabby: "need to" Me: "Not right now." Gabby "AHHH!"

My goals as of right now are to try to do at least 2 or 3 things educational or interactive activities with my kids everyday (mostly Corbin). That might seem super lame to some of you that do that all day long, but for me it's a pretty lofty goal. I want to try to read everyday, and do some sort of preschool review of the alphabet, numbers, ect and I try to do at least one fun activity or craft a day. Luckily there are tons of ideas on the Internet so someone like me doesn't have to completely rack their brains. I'm grateful that there are other creative people out there that I can copy. Last week we made Ollie the Octopus using the letter O and Corbin's hands for the legs. I always modify the projects so that I don't have to go out and buy anything. I'm sure I will buy some additional materials for certain projects but for the most part I can just use whatever we have laying around. Here is the link to the Octopus O project. The main thing I need to try to do is just come up with the plan the night before. It literally takes a couple of minutes to do it. I just need to do it.

Sometimes it helps me think about parenting as job I need to be prepared for. I try to think back to the days when I was teaching school and how I had to have a lesson plan for everyday. I try to do a very mini lesson plan now so that I can be teaching my kids as much as possible. I will not be enrolling my kids in preschool for a lot of reasons, but I want them to be more than prepared when they enter school. Anyway not that anyone really cares but it helps me to write it out because it makes me more accountable to myself. I read the book "The Smarter Preschooler: Unlocking Your Child's Intellectual Potential" by Renee Mosiman and I found it to be a helpful resource.

On Thursday night we had another girl's night. We do it about once a month. We had tons of fun talking, eating, and laughing until 1:00 in the morning. On Friday we took the kids and we all went to Cafe Rio. It was fun. Our kids really like going out and for the most part they are very well behaved so it's fun for everyone. Plus with free kids quesadillas and Scott and I sharing it only cost us $8.00. On Saturday we went and watched Scott's basketball game. Scott also made some shelves for me so I could organize my sewing stuff more. I mean of course I need my own room for crafting but that's never going to happen. Ha.
Corbin can be so cute with Piper sometimes. He tries to tickle her and make her laugh and she loves it. You can tell she really loves her siblings.
We are watching Scott play in our ward basketball game. We will probably do this every week for the next little while.
It snowed one day. We got bundled up and played outside for about 8 minutes. Awesome. Anyway our house has so many birds sometimes that it reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds." Seriously it's actually a little creepy. Sometimes there are hundreds of black birds in our yard and neighborhood. Weird.
Piper is 6 months. I'll say more about that after she gets her shots and I have her stats.

3 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

i'm going to read that book! seriously you have the best resources for parenting tips! good luck with your goal! i think you will do great at it. Corbin is looking so grown up! what a cute boy!!

Unknown said...

A few girls in our ward are doing a homeschool co-op this fall so if you want Corbin to come along anytime Brigitte would LOVE it. We have a retired preschool teacher who has the curriculum and everything and she is so adorable and cute that I know it will be amazing. When I looked into homeschooling resources for Brigitte I looked up a bunch of preschools that had their curriculum posted online and was going to follow along with my own activities. here is a good one to check out:
http://www.littlejoysacademy.com/curriculum.html
I like that someone already made the outline of what to study.

Corbin is getting so old! Seeing him hold little Piper is just so so cute. And Gabbys zombie killed me. CUTE kids!

Melissa said...

Your kid quotes were great, especially the worm one. I'm impressed with your learning/educational goals for your kids. I try to do letter and number games and arts and crafts with Bryson too. We'll have to share ideas because I'm stealing the Ollie the Octupus one. I figure since I'm not about to pay for preschool, he can get some of that from me at home. Cute pictures of the kids, too.