Wednesday, February 27, 2008

70 Hour Week

Daddy at 8:30am after getting of his seventh day of work. Corbin had a doctor's appointment 10:00am. I was going to try to hang out with him and just stay awake until we went to the doctor. I lasted for about twenty minutes.

So I got my shift switched from the last half of the week nightshift to the first half of the week nightshift. What does that mean? That in order to get my full forty hours for the two weeks, I had to work seven days straight. It was rough, and I'm so excited that I finally made it to my weekend. I am in serious need of some R&R (i.e. napping, movie watching, playing with Corbin, eating out, being awake during the daylight hours).

I've been meaning to write to all of those who didn't hear the update at Corbin's baby blessing but I finally earned my first trainer's approval to move onto phase two of the program. At the beginning of last week he told me one of three things was going to happen, and it was all in my hands. One, I would show him some dramatic improvement and get moved on to phase two. Two, I would be sent to receive additional prescriptions training. Three, I would receive "the invitation." (i.e. "We invite you to seek gainful employment elsewhere.") Obviously, the pressure was on. Fortunately, I had three of my best days ever and Officer Nicholls gave me the green light to move on to phase two. He said that he was "*%$^#* baffled" at the transformation he had seen in me. What a relief!

He sent his recommendation upstairs, but the powers that be determined that they wanted me to get more training. Initially, I did not even care because Officer Nicholls was the one who was going to every call with me, had been watching me struggle and bumble, had been wondering if I was ever going to get the hang of things, and he had signed off on me. That was a hard earned endorsement and if the administration wanted to prescribe me some more, so be it.

Unfortunately, prescription means starting off with a new trainer and having him form his impression of me from the level I am at now. So he doesn't get to see the progress I've made, he only gets to see what I'm still lacking. Add on top of that switching into the new shift with my new trainer after a full week of work and I was looking to face quite a challenge. I guess that this is the purpose of the program - to stretch you every day. Things were pretty rough starting out, but my last night went alright. But when my new trainer said something about "in order for you to pass this prescription," it raised again in my mind the specter of getting fired, a ghost I was so excited to have banished just three days earlier.

Anyway, I'm just really excited to get a chance to rest and spend some time with my two favorite people. How lucky am I?

7 comments:

Jarom and Melissa said...

I'm stressed for you. Keep up the progress and you'll do great.

Jarom

BlogMOMster said...

Scott, we'll love you no matter what. There are worse things in life than washing out at a job. I remember a fireside at our home years ago when Utah state senator and statesman, Warren Pugh (big home on Cottonwood Lane), told all the young couples about losing a job that was very important to him. Subsequently he went on to be incredibly successful in a different arena. He said he owed his success to losing his job and felt that it was all part of Heavenly Father's plan for him. Sometimes it's darkest before the light.

Jed and Kate said...

Dude, that sounds so rough. There is no way I could go through all of the things you have to for this job. I guess that's why police officers are so tough. I know you'll be able to power through though and turn this into a success...you will be so much stronger as a result of all of the challenges that you're standing up and facing. You can do this!!!!

BFC said...

Scott!

I found your blog via Richardo and Cat's site. I had no idea you were up in Idaho doing such crazy things as getting sprayed with mace and the like. It's been many moons. Too many. I still like you more than you'll ever know. Remember when we went to Vegas for the Weezer concert and it got canceled? Oh how I still laugh.

Sarady said...

Corbin is so adorable. He really is plumping up nicely.

Glad you guys enjoyed the BOM vid. Have you ever seen our Mission Impossible video? It's not our finest video, but we're still amateurs. It's in our April 2007 blog archives, in case you'd like to see it.

Good luck with everything, Scott. Sounds like you are already doing great.

Unknown said...

Scott-

You %$#@*&! baffle me everyday.

Gabe

Karen said...

Scott, we think you're amazing and we are baffled at all the things you've had to go through for this job.

Corbin is getting so big! He looked so cute in his blessing outfit. "A handsome little man" as we say about Eli everyday.