We made it home alright, the car got fixed, and we made it back to Boise a few days later without incident. One of the highlights of the trip for me was a highly anticipated Utah hike! I've found that I really miss the fantastically beautiful mountains of the Salt Lake Valley being here in Boise, land of brown hills (and some trees). I had initially planned on climbing the north face of Mt. Olympus, but Mitzi told me I couldn't unless I had someone go with me. I called my dear buddy Richard and he told me that Mt. Olympus wouldn't work for this time around, but we settled on an early Saturday adventure on "The Great Wall." Now, as far as I know, I'm the only one who refers to the rocky spine sticking out of the mountain south of Parley's Canyon as "The Great Wall," but once I explain where it is, people seem to connect to what I'm talking about. Here's a visual for you people who may still be lost:
Because of the shadows it's hard to see it, but I've outlined the areas that I refer to as "The Great Wall"
This is what the great wall looks like from the Cannon homestead in Holladay. The section near the peak is what inspired the name (although, that's also the section that I have never climbed).Richard and I met up at the Barbacoa on Wasatch Blvd at a little before 7:00am on Saturday morning. I was disappointed to find that it was a gloomy, rainy day. Fortunately, by the time we actually set out, it was only drizzling very lightly and actually made for great climbing weather, in spite of the wet (though not overly muddy) terrain. It took us about a half hour to make it to the lower portion of the E/W section of the Great Wall, which is not quite as impressive as the upper portion. Unfortunately, we only made it to the upper portion with enough time for one or two little climbs before we had to head back down so I could return my mom's car by 9:00am. We did get some fun (although poorly lit) pictures as well as sharing an enjoyable, manly mountaineering experience. Here are a couple of fun pictures:
Just starting out - You can still see the road where we parked in the upper-right corner of the picture
Standing below the upper portion of the E/W section - It ranges between 30 and 60+ feet up and makes for a challenging (for people like me) climb, although the rock is so coarse and provides such a fantastic grip surface that it makes me feel like a gecko climbing around on it
4 comments:
Utah mountains are so pretty!!! I always want to spend every minute there when I'm home:) Thanks for posting some pictures. Sorry about the car:( What a nice Mom & Dad to come to the rescue!
Brown hills with little trees, it's not that bad. It's just not in your face pretty and as far as refeering to Richard as your "dear Richard", I think I just barfed a little in my mouth, with no offense to Richard of course.
Mitzi
Right now I'd take the brown hills with little trees over the green flatness we have here! I miss the mountains! Jealous!!! Hope the car's okay--we've had a coolant leak in our little Jetta for the longest time. Maybe we should fix it . . .
Annika
So that's the great wall. It all makes sense to me now!
Post a Comment