Friday, June 13, 2008

The Latest Dilema

So my latest problem with Corbin is this rolling over business. I am wondering if any of you had the same problem and what you did? Corbin flips over like a mad man every chance he gets from his back to his belly but he is then stuck in that position until I break down and roll him back over. This is only a little annoying when he is awake and it’s really annoying to get him to go to sleep now and stay asleep. At naptime I can no longer just put him in his crib and have him fall asleep on his own. If I just put him in his crib now he rolls over and has a freak out. I don’t like letting him cry on his belly because I don’t want him to sleep on his belly anyway, supposedly that increases the risk of SIDS, although I have a sister in law who puts her kids to sleep that way so whatever. I now have to put him down with a binky because it calms him down quickly and he is less likely to rollover. I don’t like this either because I don’t like him being dependent on a binky for falling asleep.

The problem now with sleeping through the night is that he rolls over in his sleep and he eventually wakes up say 3:00 in the morning screaming because he needs me to flip him back over. Annoying. So we borrowed our friends I don’t know what they call them I’ll just call them sleeping blocks, which are supposed to prevent the baby from rolling over. Ya right. Corbin figured that out in about 30 seconds. He wasn’t strong enough to propel his body over the huge mound so he does this amazing tight roll in between the pads. Unbelievable. So I’m hoping I guess that he masters the roll back over and that hopefully in the middle of the night if he finds himself on his tummy he will just go ahead and roll on over. I’m not so sure. I don’t even want to think about how hard it will be when he can crawl, not to mention walk. I thought it would all be no problem because he has been an excellent sleeper that these things wouldn’t matter. Ha. So this is long and probably nobody cares but if anyone went through a similar thing it would be great to know the tips you used.



6 comments:

Liz said...

Gosh, that's a hard one. I guess just keep rolling him back over until he figures out how to do it himself. Jamison did the same thing with standing up in his crib. He'd pull himself up, at like 11 months, and then couldn't get back down. So he'd just stand there and cry until we helped him out. Sorry this isn't very helpful. Hopefully he figures it out soon!

Piper said...

Sorry, I can't really help you out with that baby business, but I did want to comment on So you think you can dance?.....I love that the competition has begun! Now is the good stuff. However, I was a little disappointed at the girl that got kicked off last night because I really really liked her. Too bad.

Amber said...

All I know is that once Grace turned one she slept ALL night. It was a hard first year! That rolling over dillema didn't happen for us because she rolled both ways way early... the binki dilemma however... yeah, I have that. Now that she's older I only let her have her binki when she is in her crib. That seems to help but Corbin is so young that that prob won't work yet... GOOD LUCK!!! and sorry I am no help. :(

Amber said...

sorry one more thing... once Grace was really good at rolling both ways you really can have them sleep on their tummies (my opinion only) because you know they will be able to turn over by themselves if they can't breathe or something... it'll only be a lil while until he gets really good at it and then you won't have that struggle with him anymore.

Sarady said...

Not that I am an expert by any means, but here are some things that helped my peace of mind when Mya went through this:

1. My doctor said that once Mya learned to roll over I didn't need to worry about keeping her on her back--because I would go insane. He said she would eventually figure out a way to get back to sleep.

2. My doctor also told me that binks actually help reduce the risk of sids because the child doesn't go into as deep of sleep. (The only problem is that they pop out, and if they don't learn to find it on their own...well.) I usally just put a bunch in the crib and let Mya find them herself.

3. Also, for Mya, she was very attached to the binky. At first, I worried that she would be too dependent on it, but the pediatric dentist told me they are actually allowed to use them until they are four. Mya felt comforted by it, and it was a HUGE life-saver for us. And you know, she weaned off of it very easily at about 20 months.

4. I feel for you about the sleeping through the night ordeal. I am always jealous of the parents whose children sleep through the night before the first year. Mya never did. And even now, we still have rough nights. But, I'm learning that I just have to do what works for me and for Mya--or I would probably shoot myself.

Sorry this turned into a novel. You know how it is, though: once you get started talking about the kid stories, it's hard to shut up.

Sarah

Sarady said...

Okay, seriously, I just saw the length of my comment, and I am embarrassed. Please forgive me.