Friday, June 20, 2008

Family Home Evening

Mitzi and I have been getting better at family home evening lately. It helps when you kill two birds with one stone by reading the priesthood/relief society lesson for your spiritual thought. But when it comes time for the activity, we've really been having fun since we've broken out the old Super Nintendo. We've played Super Mario Brothers almost every night this week, determined to beat it all the way through. Well, for the last couple of days we haven't been able to make it past level eight. So to figure out what we've been doing wrong, I decided to take a look at this YouTube Mario speed run where this guy beats the game it in a little over five minutes without dying. Come to find out, level eight is the last level! We're so close! But by the look of it, since we haven't been able to make it past the half way point on 8-3, we've still got a long way to go (especially when you lose all of your lives and have to start back on 8-1, which is no cake walk either). Anyway, this guy is pretty amazing and makes me feel pretty ashamed of what skills I think I have.


When we do eventually beat level 8 (by sometime this winter, I'm thinking), we already have the next fun activity lined up...Rock N Roll Racing! I loved this game as a teenager and my friends and I would play it all through the night on sleepovers. It is like a more-advanced version of RC Pro-Am for you real old-school gamers out there. You get to race cars, shoot missiles, listen to sweet classic rock music, and it even has this hammy monster-truck announcer. I don't know what happened to my copy but it has been lost for some years now. I've tried to find another copy on line but the cheapest I've found is around $40 (and some wanted a lot more than that)! Well, yesterday, after we picked up our family pictures from the mall, we swung by this video game exchange shop to see if they had any other fun two-player games that Mitz and I could enjoy together. At first glance, they only had boring sports games, but they were all $0.99. Even then, I couldn't bring myself to buy one. I asked the cashier if those were the only SNES games they had and she pointed me to a single shelf where I found, like a needle in a haystack, Rock N Roll Racing! I was ecstatic! Even though it was quite a bit more than $0.99, it was way less than I'd found online, so I grabbed it. Mitzi didn't quite catch on to the controls as quickly as she (or I) would have liked, but we've got plenty of FHEs in the future for her to practice - plus, we can have a nice Mario alternative when we get sick of getting killed by those hammer brothers in the exact same spot over and over!


The red and the black cars are the two players, while the gray and purple are the computers.

4 comments:

Shelley Beal said...

hi

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Mitz. I like long comments! :) Are you guys coming for rodeo this year?

Dave said...

"Olaf lights him up!" Such good memories.

Sarady said...

If you haven't already, you should give Donkey Kong Country a try. I would say the levels are fairly challenging. Plus, the music is cool. I wish we still had our SN. I believe it was pawned several years ago by someone who shall remain nameless.