Friday, February 12, 2010

Cloth Diapers

I did it. I made the switcheroony. I have been using cloth diapers for a whole week now. Get excited. There is a bit of a learning curve and I've still got a lot of figuring out to do. Overall I'm still convinced and I'm excited. I want to have a big family and think how much money I could save by using cloth diapers.

I'll share with you a few things I've learned in case you are interested. I found this website through a friend of a friend. She has a lot of information about cloth diapering.

The thing that helped me the most was seeing them in person, The Baby Daily in Meridian has some and I went and checked them out and asked a bunch of questions. Their cloth diapers ranged from about $18 a piece to $25 a piece. I decided to go home and see what I could find on Craigslist. I saw people selling their cloth diapers but they were different sizes and styles and I didn't really want to deal with that. I found a local cloth diaper distributor through Craigslist and she is awesome. She sells her cloth diapers for $9.50 a piece. I haven't seen them that cheap anywhere. Not only that it turns out she lives about 2 blocks from my house. So I went over and checked all of her diapers out and asked her a lot of questions and bought some diapers. Check her website out. Chances are you could get it cheaper from her than anyone else.

I decided to get the nubunz one size fits all diaper. I like how they are straight forward and easy. Not only that they are supposed to fit a baby from 8 lbs to 38 lbs. That is my kind of diaper. I don't have to worry about buying a bunch of different sizes of diapers. That seems a lot more annoying and expensive. I bought all baby neutral colors and plan on using them on both of my children. Easy, easy.
Here it is. The snaps on the front adjust the diaper from size small to large.
The inside of the diaper is lined with fleece. It leaves the baby feeling dry. When Corbin wakes up in the morning from peeing all night long he is dry. The fleece draws the moisture away.
This is where you stuff the diaper with inserts. I stuff it with two during the day and three at night. After I do laundry I pre-stuff the diapers and put them away and they are ready to go. Seriously easy.
Here is a picture of Corbin sporting his diaper. I went to wake him up from his nap and found him on his train table. That looks really comfortable. Note that he isn't wearing pants. He hates pants and almost always takes them off.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I cant wait to see new baby girl - TONIGHT! (or maybe tomorrow, but we're hoping tonight!!!!) Woo HOO! Shes going to be so adorable in cloth :)

And you know I want to try them.

Candice said...

Welcome to the world of cloth diapers!

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

So they don't look that bad .... but I still don't know if I could do it! You're brave Mitzi Cannon!!!

Unknown said...

Maybe you've heard of these. Just thought I'd share. http://www.snappibaby.com/products/snappidiaperfastener.html

Amanda said...

I'm sure you've seen the diaper sprayers...get one. amazing! i would have stopped cloth diapering a looong time ago if I didn't have one.

Scott seems to be pretty handy...there are instructions online how to make your own from a kitchen sprayer.