Well, that didn't work out. We found ourselves living off of savings and struggling to figure out what to do with our lives. At first I thought I would get a "pay the bills" job somewhere to buy some time until I figured out a new master plan. My efforts were only half-hearted as I came to realize that I really wanted to have a go at making it on my own using the real estate investment training I had received the previous summer. As I began to commit myself to this new direction I happened to see an advertisement for the same training program here in Boise. I knew that their policy was that I could re-attend the training for free within a year of my initial date of attendance. I took Mitzi along with me to the intro to allow her to familiarize herself with what I was proposing and to hopefully feel more comfortable with the uncertainty of self-employment.
While attending the refresher I decided to go whole-hog and sign up for the deluxe training package (complete with a deluxe price tag) in order to gain every advantage I could to "ensure" my success. This included three days of investment field training in Salt Lake City, as well as several other programs. By my calculations we had enough savings to meet all of our priority obligations until the end of July. So I made that my goal: Make $10,000 as a real estate investor by July 30, 2008. By this time it was about the end of April and so I had about 90 days to make this work. Fortunately, I had something of a safety net in case things didn't work out; my dad had offered me a job working for him on a branch of his real estate business that he had been wanting to develop and launch but for which he did not have the time himself. I told him that I would be happy to do some work for him on the side for the next 90 days but that my priority was going to be making that $10,000 on my own.
Well, to make a long story a bit shorter, I worked very hard for those first 60 days (plus the 30 days of of April I had already worked): building a network, writing offers, finding deals, researching, learning, studying, setting up a business, buying my first fax machine, using a day planner for more than a week, calling the support line incessantly, etc, etc. During that time I had taken additional training specifically on short sales. In that training, the instructor said that the most proactive method for finding business is by knocking on doors. All of the other ways, advertising, putting up "We Buy Houses" signs, sending letters and postcards, all rely on business coming to you. I didn't have time to wait, and the instructor said that you have to knock on about 20 distressed homeowners' doors to find one deal. Well, I went door knocking for the better part of four days, knocked on some 90 doors, and only talked to about 5 people. Only one of those looked like it had any potential, and the homeowner seemed impossible to get a hold of.
Through all of this, there was still one glimmer of hope. I had been able to get a tentative commitment from David, one of the homeowners I had spoken to on my door knocking campaign (oddly enough, he was the third door out of the 90 I knocked). The house was in foreclosure and was scheduled for auction the first week of August. I got all of the documents signed, told him and his wife what to expect and that I would buy the house from the bank if I could get it to agree to a short sale, thus saving them from having a disastrous foreclosure on their credit. Things progressed and I fumbled my way through, all the while trying desperately to act like I knew what I was doing. There are far too many details to go into here, but after a lengthy, complicated, highly stressful and challenging process, I got a "Yes" from the bank.
The bank had agreed to sell the 1900+ square foot house to me for $112,800. I estimated that it's value, after about $30,000 of repairs, was between $185,000 and $215,000. I then turned around and put an ad for the house on Craigslist at $128,500. I received about 20 responses (and I'm still receiving some) to the ad and one lady made me an offer on the house three days later. We settled on a final price of $127,000, signed the contracts, and I scheduled the closing. My title agent, whom I had met through an interview with a professional investor, knew all of the ins and outs of non-traditional real estate transactions. He was great to work with and took care of everything. The homeowners showed up at 4:15pm on Thursday, we signed documents, and they left. My new buyer showed up at 4:25pm on Thursday, we signed documents, she wrote out a check, I gave her the key, and she left. I asked the title agent when I could pick up my check and he told me to come by Friday. Friday afternoon I drove out to his office and walked out with a check for...drum roll please...$12,946.40! I did it! Sure, it was about 45 days late, but ask me if I'm complaining.

Before you get too jealous let me just say that almost all of this money (after tithing) is going to pay off training and business expenses. (And it won't even cover all of them!) Of course, we did have to use a little bit of it to celebrate the conclusion of our six months of poverty and desperation. I bought myself a PS3 so I can now watch Blu-Ray movies on our HDTV, not to mention have a PS3. Mitzi also finally has some money to spend on whatever she wants that I've been telling her we couldn't afford for the last six months. She's been so patient, supportive, and trusting; it feels wonderful to be able to tell her to go shopping for herself with more than $20. The wind is back in my sails again, and while I'm still working for my dad (we just closed our first deal with that business too), I'm also out knocking on doors again, and this time I really feel like I do know what I'm doing and know that there is a check from the title company at the end of the rainbow.
* For anyone interested in a more detailed account of my first successful short sale, feel free to e-mail me or request one in the comments. I will be working on the account over the next few days and hopefully it can help any of you whose interest this may have piqued to determine whether or not this may work for you too. I'll be happy to share the experience, what I learned, mistakes I made, and how to do it better next time.
9 comments:
How cool Scott!!! I'm so proud of you, out there knocking doors and all. That's pretty sweet. I'm glad it paid off:)
Yay, I'm so happy for you! I really think that with your determination and hard work ethic you will be very successful at this, or whatever else you decide to do! Congrats to Mitzi for be patient and being able to go shopping! Maybe you're next sell can go towards a trip out east......Congrats again!
Such wonderful news!!!!!
That's awesome! Congrats on having your hard work being paid off, and congrats to Mitzi for being supportive. It sure is a hard road being unemployed! I'm sure Walker will be chatting with you soon -- we just put our house up for sale yesterday :(
Nice job, Scott. I'm glad things worked out. That's great for your first sale. Congratulations. And congratulations Mitzi for surviving six months of poverty.
-- Melissa
Congratulations Scott and Mitzi - I think every married couples faces the unemployment debacle more than once in their lives. You've come through it and have new knowledge and confidence to boot.
Scott, congratulations man. When you resigned I swear my colitis flared up because I had so much sympathy stress going on for you guys. I can imagine how difficult its been and appreciate how much work you've done. We hope things continue to work out as you guys figure out life in Boise. When you're done out there you could move to Colorado so we could hang out more. It beautiful here, and we miss our friends.
Lots of love you guys.
Jarom
PS - Knocking doors sucks, but so does having someone throw up on you at work too.
Congratulations, you guys. That is truly amazing. What a huge blessing.
i didn't read your post- but i think you got paid. good job- especially good job for buying the ps3. anyway- mitzi, when is that 5K? here's the joke of the day- i'm seriously thinking of training for it.
gabe
Post a Comment