Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Strong and Willful Child

Getting Corbin dressed is a nightmare. Just changing his diaper seems like a Herculean task. Sometimes we just have to manhandle this child to get him to hold still long enough to get his diaper on. He is just adamant about rolling over and crawling away. In fact, being the ever diligent parent that I am, I followed Mitzi out of the baby's room as she went to throw Corbin's dirty diaper away because I was in the middle of asking her something. She stopped me mid-sentence and said, "I thought you were staying with the baby?!" KA-WHUMP! Yep, I turned my back on him for about three seconds, which was more than enough time for him to roll himself right off his changing table (a few feet off the ground) and find himself flying headlong to the land of bumps, bruises, and tears. Needless to say, we were all pretty upset. But like most babies, he got over it the fastest. Add that little incident to our sister-in-law Christy's horrified look (she's the mother of a new 5-6 week old baby girl) when she saw me lift Corbin off the ground by his ankle as I tried to flip him back on to his back so I could change his soaking diaper after the swim party and I'm up for "Father of the Year - 2008."

Well, for any of you who have children, I'm sure you can identify with some of these stories. It's a good thing babies are designed to withstand these kinds of misadventures because I'm sure that for parents with more than one child that these stories multiply exponentially. On the other hand, you probably also know what you're doing a little bit more than we first timers. We shot a little video last night to show what a joy it is trying to get Corbin ready for bed. Please keep in mind that he had already used up much of his energy during the Battle of the Bath and the Battle of the Diaper, so he was pretty winded when it came time for the Battle of the Jammies. He was also distracted by the camera, which maybe we should use more often to gain that little extra advantage we so desperately need when dealing with such a strong and willful child! Writing this made my heart fill with sympathy for our friends Walker and Liz: Liz has an 18+ month old, testosterone filled boy who can walk, run, and climb that she has to get ready for bed...and she's 8 months pregnant. Good luck Liz! Here's the video:



To balance things out, here' s a cute-ish video of Corbin playing some kind of looking game with his daddy at breakfast. Corbin now sits at the island with us during breakfast where he eats bits of toast and pancakes and mashed bananas. This day he was doing this funny head shaking thing so I started doing it back. It's like he was pretending to look away and then he would suddenly look back to see what I was going to do. Again, the camera dilutes the effect but here it is:

7 comments:

Scot and Jenny said...

Just let him be naked. He is still little enough to get away with it. Ha ha. Anyway, what a cute little baby you have. I hope we are able to get together soon! We are working on it.

Jarom and Melissa said...

We enjoyed both videos, but were cracking up at the head shake. Pretty darn cute.

Royce and Annika said...

Hilarious! I was laughing the whole time. I love the story about him falling off the changing table. Oh, the stupid things we do when we're not thinking. Isn't it funny how you go from being afraid to hurt your baby by holding them wrong and now you're picking them up by their ankles?

Ginnie said...

OK. I laughed so hard with that first video...reminds me so much of what we go through! I feel your pain! I try to make changing Cameron a game...just start breathing fast and act like you're trying to get it done as quickly as you can. He thinks it's hilarious, although I'm almost hyperventilating! Anyway, if I don't do that and just struggle with him, he's going to win, as much as I hate to admit it!

And Cameron fell off the bed (the only room with hard wood floors) when he was a baby. Uh....who knew he was mobile? But it gets better. He has a new bike that I put him on outside the other day. I ran back inside to get the recycle stuff to bring out. When I ran back outside, I saw this woman that was walking her dog dash over to our yard. She looked horrified and I realized that Cameron had fallen down the stairs on his bike. Uhh...oops. Guess I should've taken him back upstairs with me or not put him on his bike or maybe just not let him outside! Really, he was fine. But the way that lady looked at me made me feel horrible! So, mother of the year award to me. Whatever. Cameron will live!

BlogMOMster said...

I missed this! The whole family has asked me if I'd seen it. I must be more diligent in checking your blog. Dad watched with me and said "Well, of course you have to start by putting the arms in . . .." as if everyone knows that. I think taking a course in gymnastics might be just as useful. It is so fun to watch sweet baby Corbin grow. Side thought - I don't know how we can seriously call him Grumps - Grumps is surely appropriate for his interactions with adults but my how he loves this baby!

Liz said...

Thanks for the sympathy vote! It's especially fun doing all this as a single parent, while Walker's in SLC.

I don't think Jamison was ever that wiggly, but you certainly did see him at his best the other night. At least he's at the age where I can kind of bribe him with treats and Sesame Street. I've also found that singing songs while I change him sometimes works.

Amber said...

haha... I remember those days. Grace has gotten better since but man, she was such a wiggle worm! It was torture getting her diaper on... or any clothes for that matter!

Corbin is such a cutie! He is growing soo fast!!!